Monday, November 24, 2014
I give Thanks especially this week for:
- My Father and step Mother who still have good health and they continue to bring Love and Happiness to all our family.
- Having a wife and family that no matter how many times I use the channel remote, make bad jokes, support strange political causes, and watch “World War II in Color”. They continue to love and support me.
- Every day when I wake up I so much enjoy my work and those associated with my work.
- Not living in the City of La Verne. Example: POTULV Steve Morgan lived in Claremont and the City of Parking never once hassled him about where he lived. Now POTULV Devorah Lieberman lives in Claremont and they are very concerned and irritated. Hypocrisy rules in La Verne.
- That my education vitae include Detroit Country Day, THE St. Lawrence University and THE University of La Verne.
- Not liking any restaurants on Foothill Boulevard.
- For having seven nieces and nephews who are the best representation of our family for the next generation.
- Division III sports…”For the Love of the Game.”
- I am not a cyclist and have to wear those ridiculous tight uniforms and think they own the highways.
- Low cost water, those days are numbered.
- That The Snub continues to snub me.
- The Detroit Red Wings, the Detroit Tigers, the Detroit Lions (most of the time), and yes, even the Detroit Pistons.
- That I do not have to attend faculty meetings on a regular basis.
- That I am not a lawyer.
- For living in a country that has both Barack Obama and John Boehner in positions of political power, amazing.
- That I have friends that include a union organizer (leader) and a “Barry Goldwater” Republican.
- That one of my best friends has a male crush on both Ronald Reagan and Nelson Rockefeller.
- That today I cut fresh flowers from my garden, and did not have to shovel 88 inches of snow like they are doing in Buffalo, New York.
- That I know the difference between a good Provost candidate and a not so good candidate.
- Finally, I give Thanks for Carrie Tuck Lewis…enough said.
Stop and give Thanks this week to all those people and things that make your life so worth living. Also tell them they make your life special because they are a part of it.
COLLEGE CHRONICLES - Where to go to college to make the most money - for each major http://wapo.st/1xKGiLf
BIRTHDAYS THIS WEEK – Birthday wishes and thoughts this week to: Woody Allen (79), Joel Coen (60), Jay Jones …famous for making Biology sexy, Mike Scioscia (56), Vin Scully (87), Lawrence Summers (60).
TOP FIVE THANKSGIVING-THEMED GOLF COURSES –
1). Pilgrim’s Run Golf Club: Pierson, Michigan
2). Rich Harvest Links: Sugar Grove, Illinois
3). Wild Turkey Golf Club: Vernon, New Jersey
4). Cranberry Valley Golf Course: Harwich, Massachusetts
5). Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club: North Plains, Oregon
COLLEGE FOOTBALL PICK OF THE WEEK – Friday 11/28, 3:30 PM ET ABC; #13 Arizona State Sun Devils (9-2) at #15 Arizona Wildcats (9-2). They will be rocking in Tucson on Friday, Wildcats win 32 – 30. Season to date (7-6)
SMALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL PICK OF THE WEEK – D-III Playoffs, Third Round: Saturday 11/29 1:00 PM ET, ESPNU; #10 Linfield Wildcats (9-1) at #2 Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders (11-0). Linfield’s magic run comes to an end in Texas, Crusaders 42 Wildcats 24. Season to date (6-6)
NFL PICK OF THE WEEK – Thursday 11/27, 4:30 PM ET Fox; Philadelphia Eagles (8-3) at Dallas Cowboys (8-3). Eagles in an upset in Dallas, 21 – 17. Season to date (8-4)
THE SWAMI’S WEEK TOP PICKS –
(NCAA, Nov. 29) Michigan Wolverines (5-6) 14 at Ohio State Buckeyes (10-1) 35
(NFL, Nov. 27) Chicago Bears (5-6) 21 at Detroit Lions (7-4) 35
(NFL, Nov. 27) Seattle Seahawks (7-4) 20 at San Francisco 49ers (7-4) 28
(NHL, Nov. 29) Philadelphia Flyers (8-9-2) 3 at New York Rangers (9-7-4) 5
Season to date (70 - 60)
NHL POWER RANKINGS – Top Five through twenty games:
1). Montreal Canadiens
2). Anaheim Ducks
3). Tampa Bay Lightening
4). St. Louis Blues
5). Pittsburgh Penguins
MARKET WEEK - Driven by falling oil prices, gas prices dropped 10 cents in the past two weeks, hitting a four-year low. Meanwhile, the OPEC oil cartel meets on Thursday under pressure to cut production to help halt the slide in crude.
DRIVING THE WEEK – President Obama meets with Treasury Secretary Jack Lew in the Oval this afternoon ... Obama heads to Chicago Tuesday to keep selling his immigration action ... Second estimate on Q3 GDP at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday expected to be revised down to 3.2% from 3.5% ...
Case-Shiller home prices Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. expected to rise 0.2% ... Consumer confidence at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday expected to dip to 96 from 97 ... Personal income and spending at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday expected to rise 0.4% and 0.3%, respectively ... Univ. of Michigan sentiment at 9:55 a.m. expected to rise to 90.0 from 86.9.
Next week: Holiday movies and bitchy resting face.
Until Next Monday, a Blessed Thanksgiving to all.
November 24, 2014
CARTOON OF THE WEEK – The New Yorker Cover December 1, 2014 – Bruce McCall